Next handout… 25th of January 2014

Morsbags HomeForumsdates for diaries…Next handout… 25th of January 2014

This topic contains 103 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by ivybags ivybags 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

… are you hoping to join in? Please post here to say where you are, where you hope to hand out morsbags and how many you hope to make…

We’ve chosen Saturday 25th of January and thought it’d be a great way to give everyone a boost in the New Year!

The idea is to sew like mad to make as many lovely morsbags to hand out as possible – perhaps organise a local group for courage, support and joy, and hand out free morsbags to locals wherever you are in the world……

You can:

…bag shops or supermarkets

… bag a park full of walkers

…bag a whole street by posting through letterboxes

…bag a cinema queue

…bag a train carriage

…bag the contents of your address book

…bag a local event e.g jumble sale, bingo….

The possibilities are endless and it’s up to YOU, wherever YOU are!

If you fancy joining in, give us, and your local radio/newspaper, a shout. Email, or write here to say that you’re IN and see what people in other areas are doing…

• This topic was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by Pol Pol.
    sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

I might have a walk down the canal path and bag the dog walkers , fishermen, cyclists and canal boatees to

• This reply was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by sazzie sazzie.
    sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

I’ll also bag the cars in the village pub and try to bag the houses down our lane

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

This is so exciting! I have an idea brewing for Team Leicester! 😉

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

:-0

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

I think you should row down the canal bagging people Sazzie!

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Hmmmmmm, that might be stretching it a bit…. But you never know 😉

ANNIEBAG
    Participant

I have made and given away bags over the last few years but not as morsbags. could we use freecycle to ask for folk to join in the fun or to donate fabric to make the bags, Don’t want to step on toes or upset anyone.
    I will ask local fabric and curtain shops for fabric and have sent a message to local pod in stourport so will see if any reply comes back from there otherwise will have to go it alone
    anniebag

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Hi Anniebag – lovely to have you here! Freecycle sounds like a great idea – I think we even have a few pods who made their way here via Freecycle many moons ago (Cathapple? or did I imagine that?) as they were giving away morsbags with the free things they were advertising. Please feel free to get anyone involved, from anywhere! The more the merrier… Local shops are also a really good option for getting free material – I’m sure others on here can come up with success stories; failing that, try advertising locally for material donations and/or set up a ‘drop off’ place in a shop/library/church – people are generally pretty positive to have an ethical outlet for their fabric clutter. Perhaps use one of the headed posters in the resources section to do that: https://morsbags.com/resources/… Good luck with finding others to make morsbags with you but solopodding can be very productive too. Also, just to mention, attaching a morsbags label is how the word spreads, so hope you will be involved in the January handout giving away morsbags 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by Pol Pol.
    offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Hi Anniebag. I have had fabric from free cycle as well. It is always nice to give the person donating fabric a morsbag. They spread the word then and more comes in. Fabric shops and upholsterers are also a great source. Again if you give them a bag it helps them understand about the free thing. I have looked up Stourport and it looks a lovely place. 🙂

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Hello & welcome Anniebag! 😀 I too have had fabric from freecycle and given morsbags to people when I’ve been giving or receiving random stuff via it, not just when getting fabric.

Fabric shops may be less willing to give away fabric as they can sell remnants, but curtain makers often have lots of pieces that have to be cut off to balance patterns or make the curtains the right width to fit the window, so are often willing to donate the leftovers.

Going it alone works out OK for lots of people, or you may gather interested co-podders as you give out bags in your community. People often would like to help once they know about morsbags.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 3 months ago by beattie beattie.
    ANNIEBAG
    Participant

I have been giving a free bag to those who I receive off or give to on freecycle for a few years now as a thank you but not as Morsbags I recently gave a T shirt bag to a vicars wife who was giving away apples ( I peeled, cored and bottled them for our local respite home to sell for xmas funds) I had used simple childrens wax crayons to draw a flower design on the fabric but there was no sewing to be done just cutting and knotting. she was interested on how it had been created and when I told her she said she would get the local Girl Guides making them to give away,
    the wax crayons contain coloring and will not wash out simply draw on the fabric and iron it to set the color. Place a sheet of copy paper between the front and back of the fabric just in case it bleeds. children love to make patterns for their grandmas and aunties and it makes a great brag bag plus giving them something to do while you cut and sew the Morsbags
    anniebag

Catherine Appleton
    Catherine Appleton
    Participant

Pol – I didnt come to morsbags via freecycle (I saw you on bbc breakfast news, you inspired me!), but I did get loads of fabric via an advert I put on freecycle asking for fabric for morsbags – different freecycle groups seem to have different rules about what you can ask for, but it worked for me. In return for the free fabric, I gave a morsbag to everyone who gave me fabric.

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Aah – thought there was a connection somewhere – thank you for reminding me! Also, LOVE your avatar!! Is it you?

Catherine Appleton
    Catherine Appleton
    Participant

yes it’s me, in 1964 – sadly you can’t see the charming red ruched swimming costume I had on, lol. Always been at my happiest at the seaside, I blame the seaside for my lack of morsbag activity for the last 18 months – when we moved to Bude I spent every moment I could on the beach (still spend quite a lot of time there now!) and had constant visitors etc. Anyway, I’m now back in the fold (and iron, pin and sew), have made 20 bags today to take to Friends of Bude Sea Pool meeting tomorrow – going to discuss using morsbags (with FoBSP logo on) as merchandise bags. I’m also going to ask for fabric donations and will try and see if anyone else can help me make bags, as I am still a solitary bagger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.