Can produce bags be morsbags?

Morsbags HomeForumsvariations on a morsbagCan produce bags be morsbags?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AsWorlds
    Participant

The type made from net curtains?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

To count as a morsbag the bag needs to be –
    1) made from repurposed / recycled fabric
    2) have a morsbags.com or morsbags.org label on it
    and
    3) be given away free of charge

Additionally, it needs to be fit for its purpose, and the original purpose intended was to replace a plastic carrier (tote) bag. It therefore needed to be strong enough to carry your shopping.

I found a piece of beautiful yellow / orange / red organza a few years ago and made it into produce bags, but didn’t count them as morsbags. The topic was thoroughly discussed at various times between 2007 and 2009 on the old forum which is now read-only, but you may find it interesting to read. https://morsbags.com/forum-archive/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=467

While I think it is a great idea (and coincidentally, was discussing making them only a few days ago with, and possibly for, a relative who is associated with a farmers market …) I don’t think we could legitimately count them as morsbags.

Sandra
    Participant

My understanding was that any fabric of any fiber content could be turned into a morsbag. The specifications do not and have never called out specific fiber content. I have seen examples of this and I have made a few from other fibers. As long as it is fabric not wanted and destined for a tip, I don’t see anything wrong with making bags from it and passing them out for others to benefit. Why is there such controversary when we are at a critical point in conservation?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I absolutely agree with you Sandra – I have also made thousands of morsbags out of all sorts of fabrics.

The reason I said that small produce bags didn’t count as morsbags is because, as I wrote above –
    “Additionally, it needs to be fit for its purpose, and the original purpose intended was to replace a plastic carrier (tote) bag. It therefore needed to be strong enough to carry your shopping.”

Produce bags are sized to carry a couple of handfuls of mushrooms, or some apples, for example, and not weigh too much so that you’re paying apple or mushroom prices for the weight of your own bag.

I’ve made morsbags out of lovely samples of net and voile, quite thin, definitely polyester, but sized to take a big bagful of shopping. They counted as morsbags because they met the principles above.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.