Bags for the Wattle Festival

Morsbags HomeForumsyour areaBags for the Wattle Festival

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dartfrog
    Participant

Hello, I’ve been too busy to post here and introduce myself as I’ve been prepping for the Hurstbridge Wattle Festival – an annual event in my town which claims to celebrate the Environment, Community and Heritage. All three of those words are up for debate, but I digress. In the middle of the madness is the Allwood Neighbourhood House where we all hang out for the day in relative peace. I decided a while ago it would be a good idea to make some bags for the festival and actually do something positive and environmental.
    117 Morsbags
    I think I read somewhere making Morsbags is addictive… I should have listened. 117 bags later (some from my stash of fabric, some from charity shop sheets), I was able to get 105 handed out. Which I don’t have any pictures of, but here’s the “leftovers” at the Neighbourhood House waiting for new homes.
    Basket of bags

Next on the calender for local events is the Welcome Platypus Festival in March where I’ll have a table out and therefore some more interesting photos!

I’ve been stalking social media to see if anyone said “Look what I got at the Wattle Festival!” but they haven’t, though I got a huge hug from a family friend when she found out her bag was made by me – haha.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Hi Dartfrog. Great news about you bagging at Wattle Festiva! It would be great to bag a platypus!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Hello Dartfrog! Thank you so much for telling us about Hurstbridge Wattle Festival ( http://wattlefestival.org.au/ )and about your bagging there yesterday. It’s fun, isn’t it?

I’m so glad you’ve got another event lined up to repeat the fun 😀 and plenty of time to make more bags. I like the photos of the lovely colourful bags.

I like the sound of a Neighbourhood House – is it available for all sorts of community activities? Sounds like you live in a wonderful community.

Dartfrog
    Participant

It’s such fun! “Hello would you like a free re-usable shopping bag?” “No thank.. did you say free??”.
    If anyone’s interested, there’s a timelapse of the crowd at https://vimeo.com/104846659

The Neighbourhood House offers community services (financial aid in emergencies, counselling, referrals etc) and community space for classes, gardens for markets and events and basically just a “drop in and have a chat” service!

Blissfully, I also picked up a hand crank Singer at the charity shop very cheaply, so if my back is up to lifting it, come Platypus I can sew in the gardens.

I don’t know if you can tell, but I am overly excited about Morsbags…

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

Hi there Dartfrog! Brilliant!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

““Hello would you like a free re-usable shopping bag?” “No thank.. did you say free??”. “ 😆
    We get that all the time when out guerilla-ing. Do you get people who hide in doorways and watch, then come back and say they’ve changed their mind and will have a bag after all when they see someone else get one and not have to fill in a questionnaire or buy a lottery ticket, or whatever? And I play “Guess which bag this person will pick” – it nearly always matches what they’re wearing at the time.

I can tell you’re excited, but I wouldn’t use the word “overly” – I think “suitably” is appropriate! 😀

Good news about the hand crank – they’re brilliant for getting attention and mean you can sew wherever (tent, field, garden, an unsold space at a fair) without needing an electricity supply or getting the machine safety tested.

I’m looking forward to hearing more. 😀

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Dartfrog, I’ve just watched the time lapse video – it’s amazingly interesting. I love the way the shadows gently move and the trees are in motion all the time. Fascinating to watch clusters and flows of people, and the crossing guards with their orange lollipops! I’ve never seen them work in pairs before, but I guess this is a wide, busy road and they need to stop the traffic in both directions carefully.

I wondered if you were one of the people passing to and fro? I recognised the avatar on Vimeo and guess you posted it – was it taken from your camera? If so, you have an interesting view. 😀

Dartfrog
    Participant

Do you get people who hide in doorways and watch, then come back and say they’ve changed their mind and will have a bag after all?
    I had a few people in groups who all refused, but as soon as one person said “Oh yes please!” the others would say “Well.. maybe I will then”. One chap said he’d take one “for his sister” but I saw him half an hour later and the bag was suspiciously full already…

The camera/video is indeed mine, but the view isn’t. The Neighbourhood House is on a handy corner, and right on the fence is a small square building running a community shop for handmade and second hand goods. My lovely father kindly went up the ladder and attached a tripod to the corner of the building for me! And I did accidentally end up in the video, way down in the bottom left corner waiting to take some photos of the drumming class.

Since I’m a timelapse fiend, I also timelapsed a sewing session https://vimeo.com/103623251

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Yes Dartfrog re mind changing. It happens regularly! And often such people are more committed to using the morsbag. Once they get it they really get it!

Love your time lapse video. I think Pol and Joe Morsman would be interested too!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Please say “thanks” to your father for me – good position for your camera. My son likes to take time lapse photos too – I’ve lost the bookmark I had for the video at Shibuya, an extremely busy crossing in Tokyo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.