New Forum Features

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Joby
    Keymaster

We have added a couple of features to the forums today.
    First up is a grey or blue bar on the left of Forum and Topic lists – grey indicates read forums/topics with no new posts and blue indicates new topics/posts since your last visit. This should help you all spot anything new that you have not read yet. At the moment everything will be grey until new topics/posts are added.

The second is a > symbol in a grey box after topic names in the topics list of a forum, hover over this and you will see it says ‘Go To First Unread Post’ – does what it says on the tin really!

Hope it all works well and helps you navigate the forums better.
    Joe

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

This sounds good. Thanks Joby.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Thank you so much Joe! I’ve been a bit paranoid since I found I’d missed some posts a while ago.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Thank you Joe, those additions will be very useful

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Just wondering if you are able to put edit on the posts? Sometimes it looks correct when I type the post but I spot mistakes when it has been submitted.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Edit already exists, Offcuts. It’s in rather faint, small type near the top of the text box on a line with the date and time of the post. I usually try to remember to uncheck the “keep a note of this edit” box when I make changes, but that’s just my taste.

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

Like it Joby. That bar is a really good thing. Thanks. I forgot to try the > but that sounds great too.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Love the blue bar!

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Beattie, all I can see is date and time on the left of the grey bar and reply #a number on the right of the grey bar. I remember it used to be there and you told me about taking off the number of times edited but I reckon I must have taken off the whole edit function. I’ll look at it again when I get access to the computer.

Joby
    Keymaster

it may be down to that only admins can get those edit options, i’ll look into it…

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I’ve made what I think is an interesting discovery – the blue bar indicating a topic with new replies only gets cancelled when accessed via “Forum”, “area” and then “topic”. As I short cut I’ve been clicking on the time elapsed since the post, which takes you straight to it, but using that route the blue bar stays. Must stop using the short cut, I guess.

Joby
    Keymaster

Already noticed this, more down to the fact that using your ‘back’ button on certain browsers will simply load a cached local page instead of getting a new one fresh with the latest blue/grey bar status (something like this is quite common on many site’s features like this). Going via other pages (anything other than ‘back’ circumvents this) – not much can be done about this but I think as a whole for when you enter the forum the status of read/unread should outweigh this minor niggle
    Although going straight to the message and skipping the main forums blue bar does do this as on return to main forum it is blue, so what you mention is also an issue BT, can look into it…

JenMeister
    JenMeister
    Participant

Hi Joby, I’m liking the look of the new forum. I too would like to have an ‘edit’ option for my own posts – it looks like, as you say, it is currently only available to admins.

Cheers 🙂

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

I like the new features – thank you Joe

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.